Federal Grants

Pell Grant

By simply completing and submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you’ll be considered for the Federal Pell Grant. This grant is need-based and can help you pay for any educational expenses, such as tuition, fees, room and board, and/or living expenses. Available to undergraduate students, the maximum award for the 2022-23 academic year is $6,895 and based on a zero EFC and at least 12 credit hours.

Please Note: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree or a first professional degree cannot receive a Pell Grant. 

A student who completes a master’s program has earned a degree beyond the baccalaureate level, making the student ineligible for a Pell Grant even if they do not have a bachelor’s degree and enrolls in an undergraduate program. Most professional degrees are also considered beyond the baccalaureate level; the same restrictions apply to students who have earned professional degrees considered beyond the baccalaureate level.

A student who has received an associate degree – or any certificate or diploma below the baccalaureate level – and who enrolls in another undergraduate program continues to be considered an undergraduate student until they have completed the curriculum requirements for a first bachelor’s degree. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

By simply completing and submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you’ll be considered for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). This is a need-based grant available to undergraduate students. Please Note: Only undergraduate students who do not have a baccalaureate or first professional degree are eligible to receive Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. First priority for this grant is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. 

State Grants

Monetary Award Program

The Monetary Award Program (MAP) provides grants, which do not need to be repaid, to Illinois residents who attend approved Illinois colleges and demonstrate financial need, based on the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or meet criteria of the RISE Act for undocumented or transgender students.

To be eligible, you must: 

  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen or meet the “undocumented student” criteria of the RISE Act

  • be an Illinois resident (if you are a dependent, the parent whose information is used on the FAFSA must be an Illinois resident)

  • demonstrate financial need

  • be enrolled a minimum of 3 hours per term at an approved Illinois college, in a degree or certificate program (effective July 1, 2022 for the 2022-23 academic year: includes credit bearing certificate programs that are offered at public institutions and are less than one academic year in length)

  • maintain satisfactory academic progress as determined by your college

  • not be in default on any student loan, nor owe a refund on any state or federal grant (if you are in default, you may re-establish your MAP eligibility)

  • not have received a bachelor's degree

  • not have used the equivalent of 135 MAP Paid Credit Hours* or more (MAP Paid Credit Hours usage is determined by your enrollment status each term)

  • not be incarcerated