Interpreters and Captioners are trained professionals hired by the College. Due to the coordination involved in providing these services, the following guidelines have been established to facilitate the process of requesting and receiving this accommodation. Familiarizing yourself with this information will allow for a more collaborative experience and will ensure that your needs are met in a timely fashion.
Using an Interpreter or Captioner for Classes
- You should submit your request via AIM or contact the DSS Administrative Assistant to request an interpreter or captioner. Requests are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, and should be made as early as possible.
- The Administrative Assistant will schedule interpreters or captioners for classes based on your class schedule. When two or more students who use interpreting/captioning are found to be taking the same class (but different sections), the Administrative Assistant may request for one or more students to switch sections whenever feasible.
- The Administrative Assistant should be notified immediately of any changes to the student’s schedule. Late notification of changes in a student’s schedule or late registration may result in delayed provision of services.
- In the case of an absence, students must notify DSS and their interpreter/captioner in advance (see No Show policy below). The interpreter/captioner is not responsible for the student’s progress or success, and is not a substitute for missed information in the event of an absence. Any concerns regarding class performance should be addressed with the appropriate instructor.
Using an Interpreter or Captioner Outside of the Classroom
- To request an interpreter or captioner for anything other than regularly scheduled class time (ex., meeting, field trip, advising appointment, play, etc.), contact the DSS office at (815) 921-2371. Requests should be made as early as possible, and at least 48 hours in advance.
- Requests will be covered on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on interpreter/captioner availability. Incomplete requests may not be filled.
- In the event a request cannot be filled, every attempt will be made to notify the student in advance.
As the DSS office strives to provide student-centered services, the following policies and procedures have been created for clarity and direction:
No Show/No Call Policy for Students Utilizing an Interpreter or Captioner
Tips for Using an Interpreter in the Classroom
For Instructors: Read these helpful tips, including information on expectations, roles and responsibilities, and general information on utilyzing an interpreter in the classroom.
For Students: Read these helpful tips on what to expect, and how to respond to an interpreter in a class.