The Associate in General Studies degree is designed primarily for students who have chosen to pursue a broad general program rather than a specific occupational-oriented or baccalaureate-oriented program. This degree is not designed to transfer to a four-year institution and general education requirements do not meet IAI General Education Core Curriculum guidelines. It is an individualized program, permitting flexibility in the selection of courses. Students will qualify for the Associate in General Studies degree when they have satisfied the following requirements:
1. Enter into a contract with an academic advisor establishing an individualized program. This contract will include the following pointsagreed upon by the student and their counselor and approved by the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs.
a. A general education component which must include:
– STU 101 (Career Planning),
– BUS 101 (Introduction to Business),
– BUS 105 (Consumer Economics and Personal Finance),
– CIS 102 (Introduction to Computers and Information Systems).
2. Complete all provisions of the contract. Once the agreement has been defined, it cannot be changed without the approval of an Academic Advisor and the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs.
3. Earn a minimum of 12 semester credits at Rock Valley College in fall and spring semesters or summer sessions following the term in which the student entered into the contract.
4. Earn a minimum of 64 semester credits in courses numbered 100 through 299 (excluding certificate-level courses so indicated under “Course Descriptions”) with a grade point average of at least 2.0.
5. Successful completion of 20 semester credits at Rock Valley College. Students may earn a maximum of three semester credits in physical education activity classes (FWS 100-199) toward the Associate in General Studies Degree.