Rockford, Illinois

Government Registrations

Taxpayer ID Number TIN/EIN
Ensure your organization has a Taxpayer Identification Number or Employer Identification Number (TIN/EIN), and know the organization's taxpayer name associated with that TIN. To obtain an EIN, visit the IRS website.

Dun & Bradstreet Number (DUNS)
The first step toward establishing an information file about your business is by obtaining a Dun & Bradstreet DUNS number. The DUNS number is at the core of marketing, credit and purchasing, and is endorsed as the global business identification standard by industry organizations around the world. DUNS is the standard for all Federal Government electronic commerce transactions to help streamline and reduce federal procurement costs. Visit D&B to obtain a DUNS number for your company.

System for Award Management (SAM)
SAM is the Official U.S. Government system that consolidates the capabilities of CCR/FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS. There is NO fee to register.  SAM reduces the burden on those seeking to do business with the government.  Your firm will be able to log into one system to manage your entity information in one record, with one expiration date, through one streamlined business process.  Be sure to check out their "Help" tab for registration tips.  Also, feel free to contact our office if you need SAM assistance.

Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA) is merged into SAM
The paper based Representations and Certifications (Reps and Certs) process has been replaced and is a component of your SAM registration.

Marketing Partner ID Number (MPIN)
A Marketing Partner ID Number (MPIN) is a personal code that allows you to access other government applications.  The MPIN acts as your password in these other systems, and you should guard it as such. The MPIN is a mandatory data element created by the SAM registrant.

Government and Commercial Entity Code (CAGE)
The Government and Commercial Entity, or CAGE code, is a five digit alphanumeric code that the Department of Defense uses to identify DoD contractors. The CAGE request process has been incorporated in the CCR registration. Upon activation in SAM, your company will be assigned a CAGE code.

Dynamic Small Business Search (DSBS)
The Dynamic Small Business Search is a database that contracting officers use to locate profiles of potential contractors.If you were designated as a small business during your SAM registration, you will be allowed to register in the DSBS database. This is a great marketing opportunity for your firm!

The PTAC can help get your company registered in all of the above listed government databases!