Rockford, Illinois

Residency Requirements

Students enrolling at Rock Valley College are classified as Resident, Non- Resident, Out-of-District, or Out-Of-State for tuition and fee purposes. The college’s Board of Trustees established the following guidelines.


A student, who has resided within Illinois and the Rock Valley College District 511, 30 days immediately prior to the start of the term, is eligible to be classified as a resident student for tuition calculation purposes. Communities that comprise District 511 include:

Belvidere, Blaine, Byron, Caledonia, Capron, Cherry Valley, Davis Junction, Durand, Garden Prairie, Harrison, Hunter, Loves Park, Machesney Park, Monroe Center, Morristown, New Milford, +Oregon, Pecatonica, Poplar Grove, Rockford, Rockton, Roscoe, Seward, Shirland, South Beloit, Stillman Valley, and Winnebago

+Portions of these communities are included in the district

Map of the RVC District


Map of the RVC District

Residency requirements may differ for limited enrollment programs admission. Proof of residency status is required at the time of registration. Proof of residence can include driver's license, voter's registration card, library card, lease, and/or utility bill.


A student who resides in Illinois, but outside the Rock Valley College district, for thirty days immediately prior to the start of the term shall be classified as an out-of-district student. A change in residency status may be requested by providing the appropriate documentation to the Records and Registration Office, Top Floor, Student Center.


A student who resides in Illinois less than 30 days immediately prior to the start of the term shall be classified as an out-of-state student. Students who move from outside the state or district and who obtain residence in the state or Rock Valley College district for reasons other than attending the community college shall be exempt from the 30 day requirement if they demonstrate through documentation a verifiable interest in establishing permanent residency. The Records and Registration Office shall make the final determination of residency status for tuition purposes.


A student whose permanent residence is outside of the United States and is attending Rock Valley College on a visa shall be classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes, unless the student is a Live-In guest with a resident of District 511. For details visit, International Student Admission.