If you place into MTH 086, 088, 091, 093 or 096S you must satisfy the state geometry requirement before taking MTH 100,120, 132, 216. This geometry requirement can be met in one of the following ways:
1) Submit a MTH 097 Waiver Form and your high school transcript to the Records Office (2nd Floor of the Student Center) showing that you completed a high school geometry course with grades of C or higher in both semesters. (MTH 097 waiver forms are available in the Testing Center or Records Office)
2) Pass the RVC Geometry Competency Test to show that you have sufficient knowledge of the geometry topics taught in MTH 097.
If you are unsure of whether or not you should take the RVC Geometry Competency Test, please contact your RVC counselor/academic advisor (Student Center, top floor or 815-921-4101).
WHAT you need to know about the Geometry Competency Test:
- The un-timed test contains 50 multiple choice questions, which require the knowledge and application of geometric terms and properties related to the topics listed below.
- Scores will be available following the test.
- A score of at least 35 out of 50 will indicate successful completion of the MTH 097 prerequisite.
- The RVC Re-test policy applies to the Geometry Competency Test which states that students are permitted only one (1) re-test in each subject area. The re-test fee is $5.00 per test. Please refer to the Placement Testing Guide to Re-Tests, Appeals, & Developmental Courses for more information.
HOW to prepare for the Geometry Competency Test:
It is strongly recommended that students review Geometry topics. Visit the RVC Math Department's Geometry Page for more information and review material including MyMathTest, an online study option.
Review material can also be found online at www.math.com and www.brunnermath.com. Some helpful books found at local bookstores include: Barron's Geometry The Easy Way, Schaum's Outline of Geometry, and Geometry for Dummies.
Topics included in exam:
- Special types of angles: acute, right, obtuse, straight, adjacent, vertical, complementary, supplementary, alternate interior, corresponding, alternate exterior, same-side interior.
- Deductive reasoning: undefined terms, definitions, postulates, theorems, converse, inverse, contrapositive.
- Triangles: acute, right, obtuse, scalene, isosceles, equilateral, triangle congruence (SAS, ASA, SSS, AAS, HL), median, altitude, Pythagorean Theorem, similarity, right triangle trigonometry.
- Polygons: regular, sum of measures of interior angles, sum of measures of exterior angles.
- Definitions and properties of quadrilaterals: parallelograms, rhombuses, kites, rectangles, squares, trapezoids, isosceles trapezoids.
- Circles: arcs, central angles, inscribed angles, chords, secants, tangents.
- Perimeter: polygons and circles (circumference).
- Area: rectangles, squares, parallelograms, triangles, trapezoids, rhombuses, circles, circular sectors.
- Surface Area and Volume: prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones, spheres.
WHERE to take the Geometry Competency Test:
Students may take the test in the Testing Center (Student Center, lower level) and a Photo ID is required.
- Walk-in Testing: Mon. through Thurs. 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - no appointment needed.
- Appointment Testing: Select evenings at 5:30 p.m. Call (815) 921-2380 to schedule.