Credit for Prior Learning
Credit by Exam
Rock Valley College offers several opportunities to earn credit for knowledge obtained outside of the traditional college classroom. For all testing programs, official transcripts must be submitted directly from the specific credit by exam testing program. Credit may be awarded through one of the following Credit by Exam programs:
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national program of credit by examination that gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know.
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) allows you to earn college credit for specific subject area learning acquired outside of the traditional classroom.
- The College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Exams allow students, while enrolled in high school, the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at most of the nation's colleges and universities, including Rock Valley College.
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program allows students enrolled in this high school program the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at Rock Valley College.
Credit for Military Experience
RVC is committed to recognizing the educational and training skills acquired during your military service. To learn more about the process and the policy for awarding college credit for military education and duties, please contact the RVC Veterans Affairs Office.
In recognition of basic training, all military personnel without a dishonorable discharge will receive four Fitness, Wellness, and Sport (FWS) elective credits.
Specific technical training can be evaluated for course credit equivalency on an individual basis.
Submit your military transcripts to the RVC Records and Registration Office or mail them to: Attn: Records & Registration Office, Rock Valley College, 3301 N. Mulford Rd., Rockford, IL 61114-5699. To obtain your military transcripts:
- Army, Army National Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, and US Army Reserve – transcripts are provided by the Joint Services Transcript (JST).
- Air Force, Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve – all current and former active duty, guard, and reserve Air Force members can order a transcript free of charge through the CCAF online system.
- Coast Guard – official documentation of military learning experiences should be sent to your home college.
Credit for Work Experience
Rock Valley College respects learning that has taken place within various work settings. College credit may be granted within specific industries.
Fire Science: College course credit may be granted for the successful completion of Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) approved course programs (Illinois or Wisconsin), Illinois Fire Chiefs Association, National Fire Academy (NFA), Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI), Department of Defense, Emergency Medical Technician (National Registry), and Illinois Department of Public Health courses/certificates (Policy 209).
Criminal Justice: Credit for successful completion of Law Enforcement Academy Training and Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards (Board Certified Training) may be granted.