The Upward Bound Program is a grant funded by the Federal Department of Education.
Upward Bound (UB) is one of the oldest and most successful college preparatory programs of its kind in the nation. Through intensive academic support and exposure to the college-going experience, Upward Bound equips students to enter and succeed in higher education.
What is TRIO Upward Bound?
The Upward Bound (UB) program is a federally funded TRIO program dedicated to the preparation for, admission to, and successful completion of a college degree for eligible high school students. Upward Bound (UB) is one of the oldest and most successful college preparatory programs of its kind in the nation. Through intensive academic support and exposure to the college-going experience, Upward Bound equips students to enter and succeed in higher education.
Who can participate?
Program participants must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents and must meet the following criteria:
- Attend Rockford Auburn or East High School
- Completed 8th grade but have not completed high school
- Be a potential first-generation college student: A student whose parents have not received a bachelor's degree; or
- Be a low-income student: A student whose family meets federal income eligibility guidelines as verified by Rock Valley College.
What services are offered?
Academic Preparation for College
- Academic workshops
- Tutoring and homework help sessions
- 6-week academic summer program on RVC’s campus
- Summer Bridge Program available for UB participants the summer after high school graduation prior to college enrollment
Educational and Career Planning
- Academic advising
- Personal development and life skills workshops
- College and career planning workshops
- College visits, cultural enrichment activities, and special events
College Admissions and Financial Aid Information
- Preparation for ACT, PSAT & SAT
- Individual assistance with college admissions applications
- Individual assistance with scholarship & financial aid applications
How can I apply?
- The student application: Our brand new FULL application has everything you need to apply to be a part of our program. Please complete this with a Parent or Guardian since there are some tough questions we will need from you. If you prefer paper applications, those can be requested by contacting a staff member. Paper applications are also located in the TRIO Office.
- Your school will be contacted for recommendation forms, transcripts, test scores and any IEP or alternative learning arrangements.
- Once we have received all of these items, we will contact the applicant to arrange an interview.
- Admission to the TRiO Upward Bound program is not automatic. Completed applications will be evaluated for eligibility and admission. If admitted, you will be notified about the next steps to begin your involvement with the program.