Rockford, Illinois

Veterans Benefits



Rock Valley College has once again been recognized on the coveted Military Friendly Schools list. The Military Friendly Schools list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities, and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans, and spouses as students; and ensure their success on campus. This is the third year in a row that Rock Valley College has made this distinguished list.

RVC is approved for Federal and State Veteran Educational Benefits. For a list of Federal and state veterans benefits, please go to the links below.

Federal Veterans Educational Benefits

State Veterans Educational Benefits

Federal Veterans Benefits Contact Information

State Veterans Benefits Contact Information

  • Phone numbers are located for each grant in the list of State Veterans Educational Benefits.
  • Address: Illinois State Assistance Commission
     Scholarships & Specialized Grants D=3A

     1775 Lake Cook Rd

     Deerfield, IL 60015-5209


Important things to know for veterans applying for benefits:

  • If the veteran has received a letter of eligibility for federal or state grants, that letter must be presented to the RVC Veterans Services office before their grants can be activated.
  • Veterans must return a complete veterans program card every semester, after they have registered for classes, to the Veterans Services office.
  • Veterans must be in satisfactory academic standing to be able to use their state and federal grants.
  • If a veteran withdraws from a class or classes, they must report it to the Veterans Services Specialist to ensure that all actions necessary are completed.
  • If a veteran is called up to active duty, you must contact the Veterans Services Specialist in the financial aid office at Rock Valley College.
  • If a veteran is receiving the GI Bill for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, you must verify your enrollment every month to receive payment. Apply online at gibill.va.gov or call 1-877-823-2378.
soldier going back to school

Veterans are able to register for ebenefits.

This online resource can help veterans; verify their eligibility and benefits, download their DD-214, see their benefits status, and view payment history of received VA benefits.

Go to ebenefits.va.gov to register.

Transfer of Benefits information:

The post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or selected reserve), on or after August 1, 2009 to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on military recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services.

For more information visit GIBill.va.gov.


Contact Information:

Office of Veterans Services Specialist: Milana Herman

Location: Second floor of the Student Center at Rock Valley College, Room 2334

Phone: 1-815-921-4163


Other Important Contacts students may need:

  • Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs, Machesney Park, IL

    • Phone: 1-815-633-5875