Rock Valley College

Chapter 23: Personal Care Attendants (PCAs)

Rock Valley College (RVC) acknowledges that some students may require a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) while in the learning environment.

The following are some important points of consideration regarding this service:

  • RVC does not provide PCA services
  • PCAs are hired, paid and employed by you, the student they are assisting
  • PCAs are not classroom or Lab Assistants
  • PCAs are required to abide by all RVC policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct (see Student Handbook, pages 79-92 or go to: RockValleyCollege/DeanOfStudents)
  • PCAs are only permissible in the classroom or lab when the student being assisted is present
  • PCAs may not be enrolled in the class they are working in and will not receive academic credit for the class

In order to bring a PCA to RVC, the student must register with Disability Support Services (DSS) prior to the PCA attending classes and the classes the PCA will attend each term must be identified.


  • Contact DSS office to request this accommodation by phone: (815-921-2371, Email: or stop by)
  • Eligibility for this accommodation is determined via an interactive conversation between the student and the Accommodations Specialist
  • Once the Accommodations Specialist has granted approval,
  • Faculty will be notified of the accommodation via the Faculty Notification Letter
  • Students are responsible for contacting the DSS office regarding any questions or concerns they may have in relation to this accommodation. 

The Personal Care Attendant Reference Guide provides important information for students, faculty, and PCAs regarding utilizing a Personal Care Attendant on campus.