Rock Valley College (RVC) acknowledges that some students may require a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) while in the learning environment.
The following are some important points of consideration regarding this service:
- RVC does not provide PCA services
- PCAs are hired, paid and employed by you, the student they are assisting
- PCAs are not classroom or Lab Assistants
- PCAs are required to abide by all RVC policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct (see Student Handbook, pages 79-92 or go to: RockValleyCollege/DeanOfStudents)
- PCAs are only permissible in the classroom or lab when the student being assisted is present
- PCAs may not be enrolled in the class they are working in and will not receive academic credit for the class
In order to bring a PCA to RVC, the student must register with Disability Support Services (DSS) prior to the PCA attending classes and the classes the PCA will attend each term must be identified.
The following information provides clarification on the responsibilities of the PCA, the student and Disability Support Services (DSS).
- Informing DSS of the need for a PCA and providing appropriate documentation
- Employing the PCA (hiring, training, paying, replacing, ensuring back-ups, etc.)
- Ensuring the PCA abides by all RVC policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct
- Establishing a non-disruptive mode of communication between themselves and the PCA in the learning environment
- Ensuring the PCA is acting as a non-academic participant in the learning environment
- Remaining available to assist the student with personal needs in the learning environment, as needed
- Acting as a non-academic participant in the learning environment
- •Abiding by all RVC policies, including but not limited to, the Student Code of Conduct
When an educational environment requires students for safety or health related reasons to meet certain criteria, such as a background check, inoculations, personal protective equipment, etc., the PCA must meet the same requirement(s)
- Requesting appropriate documentation from the student that supports the need for a PCA in order for DSS to determine eligibility for the academic accommodation allowing the PCA access to the educational environment
- Notifying faculty of PCA attendance in the learning environment
- Addressing faculty and student concerns regarding a PCA in the learning environment
- Facilitating discussion(s) between the faculty and student regarding PCA related questions and/or concerns, upon request