Rock Valley College

Chapter 21: Accessible Furniture

Although the majority of classrooms and labs are universally accessible, there may be times when a student needs a specific type of furniture due to their disability. DSS works with faculty members, Facilities, Plant Operations and Maintenance (FPOM), and other RVC departments in order to provide accessible furniture, including chairs, tables, podiums, and footstools.

Prescription seating and other items of a personal nature are not the responsibility of the College.  Students may furnish their own personal items, such as special seating devises or cushions, to be used in campus classrooms, when necessary.


  • Contact DSS office to request this accommodation by phone: (815-921-2371, Email: or stop by)
  • Eligibility for this accommodation is determined via an interactive conversation between the student and the Accommodations Specialist
  • Once the Accommodations Specialist has granted approval, this accommodation will be automatically requested by DSS every semester (unless the student notifies DSS that it is no longer needed)
  • Faculty will be notified of the accommodation via the Faculty Notification Letter
  • Students are responsible for contacting the DSS office regarding any questions or concerns they may have in relation to this accommodation, including if the furniture is not in the location needed. 

Typically furniture is identified with a sticker depicting the universal symbol for disability indicating it is a required for a student with a disability. If a student does not recognize or find the necessary furniture in the room, they should let DSS know as soon as possible.

DSS will work as quickly as possible to place requested furniture.  However, DSS must work around classroom availability in order to place furniture. Furniture requests made after the semester has begun may take longer to fulfill.

For questions about general campus accessibility or classroom furniture please contact DSS at (815) 921-2371 or email