Students may, in some limited circumstances, need to register for classes ahead of the open registration times. The student is responsible for registering for their class(es) on the designated date, which generally falls on the second day of the college’s established priority registration period.
Priority registration may be appropriate for students who require:
- Accessible classrooms
- Course materials in alternative format (example: Braille or electronic)
- Sign language interpreting, real-time captioning, or captioned media
- A specific schedule due to medical or health reasons
Students must be approved for priority registration through the DSS office to be eligible for this service. It is important to note that some students may already qualify for the priority registration date by virtue of sufficient credit hour completion. This is often the case with students who are close to graduation. Students should verify their registration date (with the Records & Registration office) prior to making a request for priority registration.
- Contact the DSS office by phone: (815) -921-2371, E-mail: RVC-DisabilityServices@rockvalleycollege.edu, or stop by to request priority registration as an accommodation.
- Meet with the Accommodations Specialist to have an interactive discussion to determine eligiblity for this accommodation.
- Once approved for priority registration, students will receive an E-mail (each semester) from the DSS office informing them of their eligibility and the date they are allowed to register for classes. It is the student's responsibility to follow the instructions in the E-mail, including registering on the specified date.
- Students are responsible for contacting the DSS office regarding any questions or concerns they may have in relation to this accommodation.
Note: Priority registration is only available for the Fall and Spring semesters.
Tips for Maximizing Priority Registration
Given that priority registration affords students more time during the course registration process, it is important to give consideration to the following when establishing a course schedule:
- The time and frequency of the class(es)
- The need for back-to-back classes or the need to schedule classes with ample breaks in-between
- If the course load has a balance of academically challenging and less difficult classes
- Location of the class(es) and travel pattern required to get to/from class.
- Having proactive discussions with instructors regarding course requirements, policies, concerns, or other factors that may have an impact on success in the course