Rock Valley College

Conflict Resolution Pathways

Student Complaints or Concerns

If you have a complaint, there is a process for you. You have the right to share a complaint or concern about any staff or faculty member, or student. Learn more about our complaint process.

A few considerations before you move to next steps:

  1. Have you spoken to an instructor or made attempts to do so regarding your course?
  2. Did you attempt to speak with the staff person or student who you have a concern about?
  3. Have you reviewed the policy to know what your options are?


To file a complaint:


Student Conduct Resolution Options

  • Administrative Meeting
  • Mediation
  • Facilitated Dialogue
  • Shuttle Diplomacy (third party intermediary)