Updated 9/15/2020 at 11:32 a.m.
The Center for Learning in Retirement is happy to offer an online fall semester this year! We know that this is a big transition, but we want you to know we are here to help you and guide you through this new process!
This page was created to answer some frequently asked questions, regarding our online semester and our use of Zoom. If you go through this page and do not find the answer you need, reach out to the CLR office at (815) 921-3931 and we will be happy to assist you!
Will there be any in-person classes this fall?
- Fall 2020 will be online instruction only.
Is there a catalog for the fall semester?
- There will not be a catalog for the fall semester. A schedule of online classes for the months of September and October will be available in the CLR newsletter that will be mailed in late August. A schedule of online classes for the months of November and December will be available in the CLR newsletter that will be mailed in October. Both of these newsletters will be available on the CLR website.
How many classes will be offered for the fall?
- There will be over 60 CLR classes offered online this fall via Zoom. There are 35 class offerings in the first half of the fall semester. A schedule of classes for the second half of the semester will be included in the fall newsletter.
How will we register for classes?
- Once you receive the CLR newsletter in the mail, you will find a class registration form inside. Fill out the form, attach payment in the form of a check and mail to: Rock Valley College - CLR, 3301 N. Mulford Rd., Rockford, IL 61114.
- You can also bring your registration form with check or cash payment to the CLR office and place it in the drop box outside the west door. We will be checking this box daily.
Will we be able to pay for our classes online?
- CLR is not currently set up to take online payments. You will need to fill out the registration form, attach payment, and mail to the CLR office or bring to the CLR office and place in the drop box outside the west entrance.
Will I get a schedule of my classes after I register?
- Yes. Once you are registered, you will receive a mailed copy of your schedule, just like the previous semesters listing all of the classes that you are registered for from Rock Valley College. The day before your selected class(es) begin, you will receive an email with the Zoom link to your class along with any handouts that have been provided by the instrutor. NOTE: Please do not share this link with other students as our CLR facilitators will be checking people into the class using the CLR registration roster.
What about handouts for classes? How will we receive them?
- Handouts for each class will be emailed either with the Zoom link the day before the class is scheduled or after the class has completed with the link to the class evaluation, depending on the needs of the instructor. You will receive these by email unless otherwise requested.
Can we use the CLR library?
- Yes. One person at a time can enter the library room at the Bell building.
Will there be any bus trips or social events for the fall?
- Bus trips and events through October have been canceled. We will re-evaluate at that time. If there are any trips or social events scheduled for November or December, registration forms will be included in the fall newsletter.
What is Zoom?
- Zoom is an easy-to-use video communications tool that has become the standard for connecting with others face-to-face virtually. This online service is useful in business, education, and personal settings providing a way to communicate with friends and family remotely. This technology, that nearly anyone can access, allows users to meet with or without video and participate in virtual meetings or classes from their computer, mobile device, or phone.
- Learn the story of Zoom here --> Zoom Story
Where can I download the latest version of Zoom?
- You can download the Zoom Client for Meetings application from the download center at zoom.us/download.
How much does a Zoom account cost?
- A basic Zoom license is free. A paid account is only needed if you are setting up your own meetings.
Do you need an account to use Zoom?
- An account is not required to join a class, however, if you plan to take multiple classes, it is highly recommended to create a basic, free account. You can sign up for an account at zoom.us/signup.
How do I join a meeting?
- The easiest way to join a meeting is by directly clicking the link sent to you via email by CLR after completing Zoom registration. If this does not work for you, you can join a meeting manually by entering your Meeting ID and Password that is also included in the email sent to you by CLR.
If I do not have a computer or tablet, can I still join a meeting?
- Zoom is available on a wide variety of devices including laptop or computer (Windows or Apple/Mac), tablet (iPad), smartphone (iPhone or Android), and telephone (cell phone or landline). If you have further questions on how to join a meeting using one of these devices, contact the CLR office and we will help you.
Do I have to have a webcam or microphone to use Zoom?
- You are not required to have a webcam or microphone to join a Zoom meeting. NOTE: You will be able to listen, but others will not be able to see or hear you.
When will I receive the Zoom link to my classes?
- Zoom links for each class will be emailed the day before the class is scheduled by 4:30 p.m. If you have a class that is multiple sessions, the one link that you receive will remain active for each week, so you will use the same link each time you attend the class.
What if I don't receive the Zoom link to my class?
- If, for some reason, you do not receive an email with a link to your class the day before it is scheduled, contact the CLR office at (815) 921-3931.
What if I sign up for a class, but the link doesn't work and I cannot get in?
- If you have any trouble signing into the class on the day the class is scheduled, please contact the CLR office at (815) 921-3931. NOTE: You are encouraged to sign into Zoom 15-20 minutes before the class is scheduled to begin.
Here are some step-by-step instructions on using Zoom to attend CLR classes. These are provided to you be CLR.
Zoom Tutorial Videos
Here are some tutorial videos provided by the staff of Zoom, just click the titles. If you are still having trouble after watching these videos, contact the CLR office and we would be happy to help you!