Stay-At-Home Activities & Resources
Updated 10/21/2020 at 12:24 p.m.
The resources on this page are also available on the CLR Facebook page. Now that the CLR Fall Online Semester has started, there will less resources shared on this page. It will still be updated on a weekly basis.
NOTE: If you have an activity, article, class, etc. that you think other CLR members would enjoy, please send items or links to Allison Den Braven at A.Denbraven@RockValleyCollege.edu. We want this page to reflect items that interest our members and would be happy to share your ideas with ALL of the CLR members!
Art & Crafts
- Arts & Crafts - Join Astar from Astar's Place and choose from over 100 different crafting tutorials! From making your own chalk to making fridge magnets to making a mini chandelier, there are tons of great crafting options for you to try!
- DIY Fall Decor - Looking for some fun, DIY Fall Decor? Well, you're in luck. Katelyn from KraftsbyKatelyn, has created a YouTube video that gives you 10 different DIY Fall decor that you can create at home! Take some pride in decorating your house with your own personally crafted Fall decorations.
- Windows 10 Basics - Learn key features of the Windows 10 operating system such as, the Windows start button, Windows taskbar, Windows status bar, Windows settings, Cortana, Desktop, File Explorer, and more! In this tutorial, you will start from the basics and cover key features.
- Ultimate Guide to Senior Finance - Check out this article by Assisted Living Today, that provides answers to your questions regarding senior finances. Topics include benefits and social security, budgeting and saving, consumer protection, health care costs, different types of insurances, taxes and tax planning, mortgage strategies, wills and trusts, and other financial resources.
Health & Wellness
- Health Benefits of Music - Isn't it interesting how hearing a particular song can bring back a special memory or make you feel happy, calm or pumped up? People are born with the ability to tell the difference between music and noise. This article by the Pfizer Medical Team will help explain how music affects the brain and how it can actually improve our health and well-being.
- Technology and Aging at Home - In this article by Debra Fulghum Bruce, Ph. D., discover how technology is helping more people age at home. From apps to modify your environment to telemedicine platforms, technology is making it easier and safer to age in place.
- FEATURED Documentary - THE GRAND CANYON
- The Grand Canyon is nearly 300 miles long and over a mile deep. How did it form naturally? Find out the history of the Grand Canyon and how it formed in this documentary by the History Channel.
- History of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - Discover how Ben & Jerry's started as a little hippie-dippy company that could, and against all odds, became the best selling ice cream in the U.S. and why they continue to churn it up for their values.
- Secret Societies Uncovered: Bohemian Grove - Best-selling author Brad Meltzer and his team try to penetrate Bohemian Grove, one of America's most tightly guarded gatherings of the rich and powerful. Join Meltzer as he leads the hunt to return lost and stolen American artifacts to their rightful owners: the American people.
- Women in the Holocaust: Fire in My Heart - Join Holocaust survivor, Dr. Miriam K. Kassenoff for an opportunity to hear never-before-told stories from some of the women of the Holocaust resistance. You're sure to learn something new about this tragic event in history.
- Basic Sign Language - Victoria, an American Sign Language (ASL) teacher has provided a short video demonstration of a few basic greetings, icebreakers and common questions in sign language. You can also download a Guide to ASL Alphabet for additional practice.
- Movie Music Romance Collection - CLR Leader, John LeGear, has put together TWO Movie Music Romance playlists on YouTube for your viewing pleasure! Both playlists feature a collection of clips with memorable songs and dances from the finest films made over the past 100 years and last approximately 65-minutes.
- How to Read the Bible - This ongoing series explores the origins, content, and purpose of the Bible. Here you'll be introduced to some of the basic skills necessary for reading the Bible effectively.
Science & Nature
- Can Birth Order Affect Personality? - Do you think that birth order can affect a person's personality? Join Greg Brown and Mitchell Mofit of ASAP Science to discover the science behind this odd question.
- Unanswered Science Questions Explained - YouTube channel called ASAP Science that holds a collection of educational videos explaining science. From creators, Mitchell Mofit and Gregory Brown, they answer science questions from, "Is Your Phone Listening To You" to "What If You Only Drank Soda?"
- How Not to Take Things Personally TEDTalk - Frederik Imbo will share his experience of 15 years in stimulating and supporting people. In this TED Talk, he will aim to improve your communication skills and help you to not take things so personally!
- The Power of Releasing Control by Alan Watts - Alan Watts was a British philosopher, writer, and speaker, best known as an interpreter and populariser of Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. In this video, he explains how much freedom we can achieve once we learn to let go of controlling things and people.
Special Interests & Hobbies
- AARP Smart Driver Course Online - Refreshing your driving skills could reduce your auto insurance costs! This online course could save you money on your car insurance, it is affordable, and it teaches you strategies to keep you safe behind the wheel.
- How Things are Made - Learn how some of your favorite products are made. Some things included are ceramic fireplaces, croissants, pocket knives, wigs, canned tomatoes, bowling balls, artificial eyes, peanut butter, and much more.
- Opioids, Inc. by FRONTLINE PBS - This documentary tells the inside story of how Insys profited from Subsys, a fast-acting fentanyl-based spray that's been linked to hundreds of deaths. Tactics including targeting high-prescribing doctors and nurse practioners known as "whales," misleading insurers, and holding contests for the sales team: the higher the prescription doses they got doctors to write, the larger the cash prize - despite the dangers to patients. Join FRONTLINE and the Financial Times as they investigate how this happened in our country's history.
- Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cinnamon Pecan Cream Cheese Filling - Join Divas Can Cook for a tutorial video on how to make a delicious pumpkin cake roll with a mouth-watering cinnamon pecan cream cheese filling! The link to the recipe is located in the description of the YouTube video.
- Southern Fried Apples Recipe - Join Divas Can Cook for a simple tutorial on how to make the best southern fried apples. They are sweet and tart and the cinnamon aroma will leave your house smelling all warm and cozy.
- TED Talks - A nonprofit organization dedicated to spreading ideas in the form of short, powerful talks. Their mission is to welcome people from all over the world that seek a deeper understanding of the world.
- You Don't Find Happiness, You Create It: TED Talk - Happiness is not something that is given to you, it is a choice that you make. Join psychologist, Katarina Blom as she lets you in on a few secrets of the mind and how you can cultivate happiness by befriending your brain in this TED Talk.
- Alcatraz - San Francisco, CA
- Anderson Japanese Gardens - Rockford, IL
- Art Institute of Chicago - Chicago, IL
- Buckingham Palace - London, England
- Ford's Theatre - Washington DC
- George Washington's Mount Vernon - Mt Vernon, VA
- God's House Tower Art Gallery - Southampton, UK
- Great Wall of China
- The Louvre - Paris, France
- San Diego Zoo - San Diego, CA
- Yellowstone National Park - Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Yosemite National Park - Yosemite, CA