Rock Valley College

Important Numbers

There are times we witness or experience certain situations that we know are just not right. Here you will find some contacts to help you and the people you care about.

*Please review thoroughly*

  • Information and referral line for area community services (available 24 hours a day): 2-1-1
  • To report Child Abuse: (800) 252-2873
    Illinois Child Abuse Hotline – Department of Child and Family Services
    “Not all perpetrators may be in a position of care, custody, or control of a child. The perpetrator may be a stranger or simply an acquaintance.” – Child Abuse brochure
  • If you are a victim of Domestic Violence: (815) 962-6102 
    Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office | Domestic Violence Unit
    “The thousands of women abused each year in Illinois are the obvious victims, as are the children who witness the violence, hear the threats and insults, and feel the isolation.” – Domestic Violence brochure
  • Save Abandoned Babies: (888) 510-2229
    Baby Safe Haven
    • If you are pregnant and you can’t keep your baby after it’s born, you may give up your unharmed newborn, up to seven days old, to personnel at any hospital, staffed fire or police station, or emergency care facility.  Your baby will be given medical care and be adopted by a loving family.  You don’t have to give your name or any information to anyone.
  • To report Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation of a Senior Citizen call (866) 800-1409 or (888) 206-1327 (TTY)
    Illinois Department of Aging | Illinois Elder Abuse Hotline
    “As the population ages, services and programs for older adults must evolve as well because longevity means more when quality of life is enhanced. To best serve older adults, we must also serve their families and teach younger people about the realities of aging, so many of our programs have an intergenerational emphasis.” – IDOA website
  • Note: If the abuse, neglect or exploitation of an older person takes place in a long-term care facility, call IL Department of Public Health at (800) 252-4343 or (800) 547-0466 (TTY).
  • To report Consumer Fraud Scam being committed to Senior Citizens, call (800) 243-5377 or (800) 964-3013 (TTY)
    Illinois Attorney General
    “Far too often, scam artists perceive senior citizens as vulnerable and relatively wealthy due to their ability to access retirement accounts and pensions. As a result, seniors are a frequent target of a wide range of consumer fraud scams.” – IL Attorney General’s website
  • If you are in need of Emergency Housing or Shelter, call (844) 710-6919
    Shelter Care Ministries | Emergency Housing Program
    Emergency Housing Program and Permanent Supportive Housing Program

*Below you will find important help lines from popular organizations*

  • Senior HelpLine | IL Department on Aging: (800) 252-8966
    "In addition to local information and assistance sites, the Senior HelpLine provides information on programs and services and links persons 60 years of age and older and their caregivers to local services.” – Senior HelpLine
  • SNAP, Medicaid & TANF | IL Department of Human Services: (800) 843-6154
    Use the DHS Help Line for questions about case status, benefits, services or eligibility.
  • Child Support Services/IL Department of Healthcare and Family Services: (800) 447-4278
    “Federal law requires that all states offer and provide child support services (also known as IV-D services) to all families, not just those who receive public assistance.” – IL HFS website
  • Consumer’s Services Division | IL Commerce Commission: (800) 524-0795
    Consumer Services Division (CSD) educates consumers about utility issues, helps resolve customer/utility disputes, and develops rules for utility service and consumer protection.
  • IL Migrant Council: (312) 663-1522
    “The Illinois Migrant Council or "IMC" is a community-based non-profit organization with the primary mission of promoting employment, education, health, housing and other opportunities for migrant and seasonal farmworkers (MSFW) and their families to achieve economic self-sufficiency and stability.” – IMC website
  • Citizens Utility Board – Fighting for IL Consumers: (800) 669-5556
    “Fight utility rate hikes, promote clean energy, and advocate for consumer protection in IL. -Citizens Utility Board website
  • IHWAP Program | IL Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity: (877) 411-9276
    “The Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP) is designed to help income-eligible households conserve fuel and save money by making their homes and apartments energy efficient.” – IL Dept of Commerce website