Rock Valley College

Accounts Receivable FAQ

Below we have tried to answer the most frequently asked questions we get in Accounts Receivable, including questions on tuition payments, payment plans, past due balances, and 1098-T forms. If your question is not answered here, please call us at (815) 921-4414.

Tuition Payment


How do I pay my tuition bill? What forms of payment are accepted?
  1. Pay online through your Self Service account. Both full payments and payment plans may be set up online.
  2. Mail in payments in full to Rock Valley College AR, 3301 N Mulford Rd, Rockford, IL 61114. Postmarked dates are not honored; payment must be received by the due date.
  3. In person inside the Student Center at the cashier window on the second floor.
  4. Drop box payments in full may be placed inside the blue drop box located outside the Student Center entrance.

We accept cash, check, money order, RVC gift certificates, MasterCard, Discover, Visa, or American Express.

Why am I being charged to pay my tuition?

Accepting tuition payment by credit card has become prohibitively expensive because of processing fees charged for credit card transactions. We use a vendor to process credit payments that charges a non-refundable 2.5% fee. To avoid these fees you may make payment by mail or in person using cash, check, or money order.

I never received my bill. What should I do?

Rock Valley College does not mail paper bills. Your tuition bill is available for viewing on your Self Service account. Log in to your student account and use the “View Accounts and Make Payments” link, then select “Account Activity”. You may call Accounts Receivable to request a statement to be mailed. Failure to receive a bill does not dismiss obligation of payment by the due date.

I am expecting financial aid. Now what?

If you have received an award letter from Financial Aid, your student account will reflect the anticipated funds and your classes will not be dropped. If you have not received an award letter, and your financial aid is still pending, you must pay in full or sign up for the payment plan or classes may be dropped.

I never attended class. Why am I still being charged?

You are both financially and academically responsible to drop your classes by the drop deadline. If an unforeseen circumstance prevented you from completing the semester, you can try to petition the charges by filling out a tuition appeal with Records and Registration.

Can I make a partial payment on my tuition bill?

Rock Valley College does not accept partial payments on an upcoming semester. If you mail a partial payment, we will return it to you. If you are unable to make a full tuition you may set up a payment plan on your Self Service account.

I pay my dependent’s bill so why can’t you give me the balance?

Payment is ultimately the responsibility of the student. Due to federal regulation, the college is unable to release information without the student's permission. In order to pay your child’s tuition you must find out the balance owed from the student.

Can I keep a credit balance for future charges?

No, credit balances are automatically refunded to you in check form.

Payment Plan


What options do you offer for a payment plan?

Rock Valley College has partnered with Nelnet Campus Commerce (NCC) to offer students payment plans for Spring, Fall, and Summer Session II credit semesters. To access the payment plan, log in to Self Service and select the “Payment Plans” link. The payment plan is only available online and cash cannot be used. Nelnet charges a nonrefundable $25 enrollment fee per semester to split your payments into monthly payments. 

What is the amount of my payments?

How early you sign up for your payment plan determines the options available. If you set up a payment plan on the last due date, only the 50% down with one remaining payment is available. To find the options and payment amounts use the “Payment Plans” link in Self Service. Please review your contract before submitting.

I missed a payment. Can I change my payment dates?

The payment dates are on the 5th of each month and cannot be changed. If a payment is attempted on the 5th and returned to Nelnet they will reattempt on the 20th of the month. There will be a $30 returned payment fee assessed for each missed payment attempt.

When and what time will the funds be withdrawn from my bank account?

Nelnet specifies the date each payment will occur, but it is your financial institution that determines the time of day the payment is debited. If a payment date falls on a weekend or banking holiday, the payment will be attempted the following business day.

I added/dropped a class. What should I do?

RVC will update Nelnet of any registration changes on your account and your payments will be adjusted up or down accordingly. Nelnet will send an email to the email address you provided when they receive notification of change.

My credit card number has changed. What should I do?

Notify Nelnet as soon as an account number has changed to avoid missed payment fees. You can change this information at or by calling Nelnet directly at 1-800-609-8056.

I don’t have a checking account, savings, account, or credit card. Can I still enroll in a payment plan?

No. In order to enroll in the Nelnet Payment Plan, you must have a bank account or credit card. 

I am on a payment plan, but my student account says I’m past due. Why?

Self Service and Nelnet computer systems are separate; therefore even though payments are being taken out by Nelnet it will still show a balance on the school’s system. You can access your payments at

I received my financial aid award letter. Will my plan be adjusted?

No, Nelnet does not receive notification of your pending financial aid. You may visit the Accounts Receivable office to adjust your payment plan if you have received your award letter.

Past Due Balances


I can’t register or access grades. Why is my account blocked?

Once a payment becomes past due a hold is placed on your account blocking any registration, grades, transcripts, and diplomas. As soon as you bring your balance to $0 the hold will be removed.

Is there a payment plan for past due balances?

No, however you can make partial payments on a past due account. To avoid being sent to collections you must make monthly payments towards your balance.

I just paid online. Why do I still have a hold?

Holds are removed manually. If you have made an online payment in full please contact the Accounts Receivable office at (815) 921-4414 to have your restriction removed.

I checked my credit report and a Rock Valley College bill is in collections. How do I get this removed?

As of spring 2012, RVC has been working with The CMI Group (formerly named The Affiliated Group) collection agency in effort to collect past due monies owed. The collection agency will report your outstanding balances until the debt is brought to a zero balance.

My account is in collections. Can I still pay at Rock Valley College?

Yes. Payments can be made to either CMI Group or to RVC directly. If you decide to pay at RVC we will notify the collection agency of any monies collected.

I just received my Illinois tax refund. Why did Rock Valley College withhold my funds?

In addition to our collection agency, Rock Valley College is working with the Illinois Department of Revenue to collect past due monies. This can be collected from state tax refund, lottery winnings, or vendor payment. Money due will continue to be collected until the balance is paid in full.

1098-T Form


When will I receive my 1098-T form?

Your 1098-T form will be available electronically for view and print in Self Service by January 31 of each year. Select “View My 1098-T Forms” and choose a year to view.

I paid my tuition. Why is box 1 empty?

Rock Valley College reports the tuition billed to the students account between January 1 nd December 31 of the given tax year (box 2), not as to when payments are made on the account (box 1). Therefore, box 2 will be filled in and box 1 will be blank.

Since I received a 1098-T, am I qualified for one of the educational tax credits?

Not necessarily. Determination of eligibility is the responsibility of the taxpayer. Rock Valley College is required to file Form 1098-T with the IRS for each student who was billed for qualified tuition. Any tax related questions should be discussed with a tax professional or the IRS.

Why aren’t my previous spring semester charges appearing on my 1098-T?

Box 1 is based on the date in which tuition payment was received. While Spring semester starts in January, the due date for those courses are during the prior year. This means often times you 1098-T will record the tuition of courses that are taken in the following year.

Can I get a copy of last year’s 1098-T?

Yes, you can view and print prior 1098-T forms in Self Service.

What is RVC’s Tax Identification Number?

RVC’s Federal Identification Number is 36-2557781. This number can also be found on the 1098-T form.