Rock Valley College

Reverse Transfer

What is it?

Reverse transfer credit is a program designed for students who attended a Community College and then transferred to a University without earning their associate’s degree. Credits successfully completed at a University may be transferable back to your community college and used to determine if these courses will satisfy any remaining degree requirements for your associate’s degree. This is similar to the process on how your credits transferred from your community college to a University - just in reverse. The community college will evaluate your University work and determine if credits taken at the University will fulfill any and all remaining requirements for your associate’s degree.


State Schools in IL for Reverse Transfer


What if my college is not listed?

Reverse Transfer is still an option for you!  All you need to do is send your transcripts from your four year college to Rock Valley College. In order to accelerate the process, you may want to contact the Records and Registration office and let them know you’re sending your transcripts back and would like it evaluated for reverse transfer.  We will let you know if additional forms may be needed.  If the degree is awarded, we will send your transcripts back to your college for free!



Why an Associate’s Degree 

An associate’s degree is an important milestone in your education as well as a valuable credential to have on your resume. Employers value the associate’s degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge and achieving your educational goals. The associate’s degree can make a difference in your long-term success in several ways:

  • It can open the door to better job opportunities, even while you’re still working on your bachelor’s degree
  • It is the nation’s fastest growing academic credential and employers recognize its value when recruiting and hiring

How does it work?

To facilitate this for our students, first contact the University (ies) that you are attending and complete the reverse transfer transcript request/release specific to that school. Once Rock Valley College receives this request an evaluation will be processed.

FERPA Statement

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, updated January 2009, I understand that my educational records cannot be released without my permission. By completing the University reverse transfer request, I authorize the release of my academic records from the University to Rock Valley College in order to evaluate a complete reverse transfer evaluation between the two institutions without the violation of FERPA. I understand that I have the right to rescind this release agreement of my academic records at any time by notifying the Registrar at Rock Valley College.