Rock Valley College

Veterans Education Benefits

Federal Benefits


Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty

The Chapter 30-Active Duty GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Eligibility of benefits last 10 years from the date you were discharged from service. You must have received an honorable discharge. Monthly benefits are paid directly to the veteran.  

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service is available to veterans who have been determined eligible by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have a service connected disability. Chapter 31 will make payment to the campus for tuition and fees, books and supplies, and a monthly basic allowance for housing. For additional information on this benefit and to fill out VA Form 22-5490, visit this website.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill

Individuals who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, are eligible for educational assistance under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Chapter 33 will pay applicable tuition and fee charges, as well as provide a book stipend and a monthly basic allowance for housing based on E-5 with dependent criteria. The amount of funds released for each category is dependent on the veteran’s level of entitlement for Chapter 33.

Chapter 33 - Transfer of Benefits information:

The post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or selected reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on military recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) and the military services. Apply now for post 9/11 transfer of entitlement.

Fry Scholarship

This scholarship provides Post 9/11 benefits to children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty  after September 10, 2001. To get more information and/or to apply for this benefits, click here.

Chapter 35 – Survivor’s and Dependent’s Educational Assistance

Chapter 35 provides 45 months of full-time or equivalent educational benefits for the spouse or child(rend) of a veteran who dies or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability, or a spouse or child of a veteran who has been listed as a POW or MIA for a period of 90 days. The monthly benefit is paid directly to the survivor or dependent. To apply, applicants must complete VA form 22-5490.

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve

Service members of the Selected Reserve can apply for this benefit that provides a monthly basic allowance for housing and 36 months of entitlement. Selected Reserve service branches include Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP provides 36 months of educational benefits to reserve service members who were called to active service in response to war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress, and were active for a minimum of 90 days after September 11, 2001. Monthly benefits are paid directly to the veteran. Important- This GI Bill is no longer offered as of November 25, 2015. RVC will continue to process this benefit for students already enrolled in the program and who have been deemed as "still eligible" by the VA until November 25, 2019.

How to Apply for Federal Veteran Benefits (Chapters 30, 33, 1606, and 1607 (REAP)

Complete the 22-1990 Application for VA Educational Benefits online for faster processing.  You will need to provide the RVC Veterans Services office with a copy of your letter of eligibility once you have been approved for your benefit.

For more help in choosing which benefit will work best for you, visit

Important: Students using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 (REAP) must verify attendance through the VA at the end of every month before payment is issued. Verification of attendance is completed through the Wave Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) system online or by phone at (877) 823-2378.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program.  TA rules will vary between military branches. Service members are able to use  a Federal VA Education benefit and Federal Student Aid in combination with TA. You cannot use Federal TA and your Chapter 1606/1607 for the same class. Students using TA benefits must submit their approved, semester-specific TA form to the Program Manager located on the 2nd floor of the student center prior to the start of the semester.   Click your branch to find out information about tuition assistance:


State Veterans Benefits

Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)

This program is available through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). Benefits may only be used at Illinois public colleges or community colleges. This grant pays for tuition, activity fees, service fees, registration fees, and technology fees. It does not pay for lab fees, Internet fees, or books.

To Be Eligible Veterans Must Have:

  • Entered the service from the state of Illinois.
  • Served at least one full year of active duty.
  • Received an honorable discharge.
  • Returned to Illinois within six months after discharge.
  • Not be in default on any federal student loan.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

To Apply
  • Go to
  • Search apply for Illinois Veterans Grant.
  • Print the application, fill it out, and mail it to the address on the form along with the member 4 copy of your DD214.

You must present your letter of eligibility to the Veterans Services office at Rock Valley College.

For more information call (800) 899-4722.

Illinois National Guard Grant

You must:

  • Be currently active in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Have served at least one year in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Apply every academic year to verify you are still active in the National Guard.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Apply now!

This grant pays for tuition, activity fees, and registration fees. It does not pay for lab fees, service fees, technology fees, Internet fees, or books.

You must present your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services office.

For more information call (800) 899-4722 or visit


The program is available through the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs (IDVA). This grant pays for tuition  and some fees. Once you have been approved by IDVA, you must turn in your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services office.

To be eligible for MIA-POW, you must:

  • Be a dependent of a service person whose status is or has been that of prisoner of war, missing in action, killed in service or died as a result of a service-connected disability, or is 100%  permanently disabled as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or U.S. Department of Defense.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

For an application and additional information, go online or call (217) 782-3564.