Rock Valley College

Types of Benefits

Federal Veterans Benefits

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty

The Chapter 30-Active Duty GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Eligibility of benefits last 10 years from the date you were discharged from service. You must have received an honorable discharge. Monthly benefits are paid directly to the veteran. To apply, visit

Chapter 31 – Veterans Readiness & Employment Program

Veterans Readiness & Employment Program is available to veterans who have been determined eligible by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have a service connected disability. Chapter 31 will make payment to the campus for tuition and fees, books and supplies, and a monthly basic allowance for housing. For additional information on this benefit and to fill out VA Form 22-5490, visit this website.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Individuals who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, are eligible for educational assistance under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Chapter 33 will pay applicable tuition and fee charges, as well as provide a book stipend and a monthly basic allowance for housing based on E-5 with dependent criteria. The amount of funds released for each category is dependent on the veteran’s level of entitlement for Chapter 33. To apply, go to

Chapter 33 – Transfer of Benefits information:

The post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or selected reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on military recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) and the military services. Apply now for post 9/11 transfer of entitlement.

Fry Scholarship

This scholarship provides Post 9/11 benefits to children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. To get more information and/or to apply for this benefit, go to

Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance

Chapter 35 provides  educational benefits for eligible dependents of veterans who died or was permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability. NEW: Per section 202 of the Colmery Act, eligible dependents using this benefit on or after August 1, 2018 will now only have 36 months of entitlement. The monthly benefit is paid directly to the dependent. To apply, applicants must complete a VA form 22-5490 by going online to

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve

Service members of the Selected Reserve can apply for this benefit that provides a monthly basic allowance for housing and 36 months of entitlement. Selected Reserve service branches include Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. To apply, go to

How to Apply for Federal Veteran Benefits (Chapters 30, 33, and 1606)

Complete the 22-1990 Application for VA Educational Benefits online. You will need to provide the RVC Veterans Services office with a copy of your letter of eligibility once you have been approved for your benefit. For more help in choosing which benefit will work best for you, visit

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program. TA rules will vary between military branches. Service members are able to use a Federal VA Education benefit and Federal Student Aid in combination with TA. Students using TA benefits must submit their approved, semester-specific TA form to the Program Manager located on the 2nd floor of the student center prior to the start of the semester.

To learn more about tuition assistance, visit your branch's website:

State Veterans Benefits

Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)

This program is available through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). Benefits may only be used at Illinois public colleges or community colleges. This grant does not pay for labs, LAS fees, books, and fees.

To be eligible, veterans must have:
  • Entered the service from the state of Illinois.
  • Served at least one full year of active duty.
  • Received an honorable discharge.
  • Returned to Illinois within six months after discharge.
  • Not be in default on any federal student loan.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress 

Apply for the Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)

Note: You must present your letter of eligibility to the Veterans Services Office at Rock Valley College. 

For more information, call (800) 899-4722 or visit

Illinois National Guard Grant

This grant pays for tuition, activity fees, and registration fees. It does not pay for lab fees, service fees, technology fees, internet fees, LAS fees, or books.

To be eligible, you must:
  • Be currently active in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Have served at least one year in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Apply every academic year to verify you are still active in the National Guard.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Apply for the Illinois National Guard Grant

Note: You must present your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services Office.

For more information, call (800) 899-4722 or visit

Deceased, Disabled, and MIA/POW Scholarship

The program is available through the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs (IDVA). This grant pays for tuition, technology, and registration fees. It does not cover LAS, lab, service, distance fees, or books. Once you have been approved by IDVA, you must turn in your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services office.

To be eligible for the Deceased, Disabled, and MIA/POW Scholarship, you must:
  • Be a dependent of a service person whose status is or has been that of prisoner of war, missing in action, killed in service or died as a result of a service-connected disability, or is 100%  permanently disabled as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or U.S. Department of Defense.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

To apply, go online to

For additional information, call (217) 782-3564.