Rock Valley College

Getting Started Using Military Benefits

1. Apply to the College

New and transfer students need to fill out an application to attend RVC. Returning/continuing students need to ensure information is up-to-date. Follow the five steps to getting started at RVC.

2. Academic Advising

All students using military educational benefits are required to meet with an academic advisor to obtain a veterans mapping. This is a mandatory one-on-one academic advising appointment to map out your educational program. A copy of this signed mapping must be turned into the School Certifying Official prior to certifying you for benefits. Call (815) 921-4100 to make a "veterans mapping appointment" with an advisor.

  • Academic Transcripts – You are required to turn in all transcripts from prior schools. No exceptions.
  • Military Transcripts –

3. Apply for Benefits

  • Federal VA Education Benefits – all active duty military, veterans, spouse and/or dependents eligible to receive federal VA benefits must apply online at Provide the School Certifying Official with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.
    • Transfer students who have used their benefits at other institutions must submit a Change of Program/Place of Training Form.
  • Tuition Assistance (TA) – a Department of Defense (DoD) program. TA rules will vary between military branches. Students using TA benefits must submit their approved, semester-specific TA form to the Program Manager located on the 2nd floor of the student center prior to the start of the semester. Click your branch to find out information about tuition assistance:
  • State Educational Benefits – To apply for state benefits, go to
    • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) This program is available through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). Benefits may only be used at Illinois public colleges or community colleges. This grant pays for tuition 100%, but does not cover all fees.
    • Illinois National Guard Grant (ING) – Eligible students must be currently active in the Illinois National Guard. You must apply every academic year.
    • Illinois Deceased, Disabled, and MIA/POW Scholarships – The program is available through the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs (IDVA). This grant pays for tuition 100%, but does not cover all fees. Once you have been approved by IDVA, you must turn in your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services Office.

4. Apply for Financial Aid

In addition to using your military benefits, you can also apply for financial aid by going online to The school code for Rock Valley College is 001747. Once you have submitted your information, the RVC Financial Aid Office will contact you with your next steps.

5. Veterans Certification Form (VCR)

This form must be turned into the School Certifying Official for each semester you wish to use your benefits. Failure to turn in this form could result in your classes being dropped for non-payment. Forms can found in the financial aid office, located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center or by emailing Milana Herman at

  • New students – Turn in the VCR along with all copies of your Certificate(s) of Eligibility (COE) or approval letters.
  • Continuing Students – Turn in your VCR (reminder if using National Guard you must up-date your letter of eligibility each year; Tuition Assistance (TA) approvals have to be submitted every semester.