Rock Valley College

Getting Started for National Guard/Reserves

The information below on how to get started at RVC applies only to members of the National Guard or Reservists. If you are veteran from any other military service branch,  please follow these instructions instead.

If you need help deciding which benefits to use because are a veteran and are currently serving in the Guard or as a Reservist, contact the Veterans Services office at (815) 921-4163.

You will eventually receive copies of your letters of eligibility for one or both the federal and state benefits.  Bring in copies of both letters, along with a copy of your DD214 and any transcripts you might have. Once you have physically registered for classes, you will need to fill out a Veterans Certification Request Form as this will be the only way we know you are on our campus.   

Financial Aid

In addition to using your military benefits, you can also apply for financial aid by going online to The school code for Rock Valley College is 001747. Once you have submitted your information, our Financial Aid office will contact you with your next steps.

Military Transcripts

Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard: You will need to request military transcripts by going online. When you log on to this website, you will need to indicate that you want your transcripts to be sent to Rock Valley College electronically.

Air Force: You must go online to request an official copy of your transcripts. Bring the unopened copy of your transcripts our Records and Registration office, located on the second floor of the Student Center.

Academic Transcripts

You are required to turn in all transcripts from prior schools. No exceptions.

Mandatory Academic Advising

All veterans and dependents receiving veterans benefits, must meet with an academic advisor.  Identify yourself as a veteran and the advisor will fill out a Student Veteran Planning Guide.  A copy must be received in the Veterans Services office before you can be certified for benefits. Call (815) 921-4100 to make an appointment with an advisor.

Getting Started

Visit our Getting Started page and follow the steps!

Veterans Certification Request

This form must be filled out and turned in every semester, immediately upon enrolling in classes. Without this form, you cannot be certified for benefits. Failure to turn in this form could result in your classes being dropped for non-payment. This form can be picked up from the Veterans Services office, located on the second floor of the Student Center in the Financial Aid department.