Rock Valley College

Pass/Fail FAQ

Please review these questions and answers carefully before deciding to proceed to the pass/fail form.

Yes, all students will be permitted to convert any of their courses to Pass/Fail (P/F) grading for the Summer i and Summer II 2020 semesters. 

If you are a student who is concerned that your passing letter grade will lower your GPA, you can opt to take the P grade. For instance, if you are an A or B student, and you’re concerned about your C grade, you could benefit by taking a P grade because it will not impact on your GPA. Academic advisors will be prepared to help you determine what is in your best interest.

There can be drawbacks for students.  The P grade will not impact your RVC GPA.  When looking into transferring or being admitted into specific programs, you will want to make sure they will recognize a P grade for acceptance.  

Also when calculating a GPA for entry to a program, they may not count the P into the GPA calculation, or count the P as a C or D.  Please check with your program before submitting.  

A grade of P will also not replace a failing grade from a class that you are currently re-taking to increase GPA.  

No, If you are in a class that has this as a requirement, we strongly urge you to talk to your advisor before making the decision to take the course for P/F.

If requested by a student, a grade of P (passing) will be awarded if you earn the equivalent of a letter grade of D or higher. A grade of F (failing) will be awarded if you earn a grade lower than a D in your course.

For Summer I courses, students will have until Friday, June 26 at 5:00 p.m. to submit a request for a Pass/Fail option. For Summer II courses, students will have until Friday, August 28 at 5:00 p.m. to submit a request for Pass/Fail options.

Grades of P will not be factored into your RVC grade point average (GPA).  Grades of F will still factor into your RVC grade point average (GPA).

Yes, you have that option as well. Students can make the decision on a course-by-course basis.

We strongly recommend that students talk to their academic advisors before making the P/F choice. Minimum-grade requirements in some courses could impact eligibility for admission or retention to certain programs, or be tied to certification requirements, so the decision to use the P/F option should be made in close collaboration with your academic advisors. Our advisors will help you determine what is in your own best interest in the short- and long-term.

Additionally, if you plan to transfer to a 4-year Institution, we strongly recommend that you contact the institution to determine how and if courses with P/F grade will transfer.

Fill out this form which will be sent directly to Records and Registration.

No. You will not be able to revoke the P/F option once selected, so please make this decision carefully.

Students must maintain a minimum GPA requirement and completion rate of 67% in order to continue receiving financial aid. In most instances, a grade of Pass (P) will not affect the student’s GPA. Note: If a student’s GPA is below a 2.00, a Pass (P) will not raise the GPA.  A grade of Pass (P) will count toward the calculation of the student’s completion rate (number of semester hours completed divided by the number of semester hours attempted) and would count as a completed course similar to RVC Withdrawal (W) grades.

It will not impact the RVC scholarship process.

We encourage you to send your specific RVC scholarship questions to

If you take a F grade, you will NOT receive credit for the course. The hours will not count toward the total number of credit hours a student needs to graduate. Advisors will be prepared to help you determine what is in your best interest.

No. If you want to receive credit for the class, you cannot decide to take Pass/Fail until after you receive your grade. You can withdraw from a Summer I class up until June 3 or withdraw from a Summer II class up until July 24, but that will result in a "W" and no credit for the course. 

Before submitting this request, we strongly encourage you to reach out to the following offices should you have concerns for how a P/F notation may impact these areas:

Academic Advising:

Financial Aid:

International Students: Mary Foreman,

Veterans Affairs: Milana Herman,

Early College (for Running Start and Dual Credit students:

All other questions can be directed to David Schneider,