RVC Starlight Theatre Auditions General Information
- Starlight audition information will be emailed in early February each year.
- Auditions are by appointment. The audition email will announce the season and when the actual appointments can be made. Appointments are scheduled in 15 minute blocks. Be prepared to stay about one and a half hours.
- Do yourself a favor; make your appointment for the first weekend. Historically, it gets CRAZY-busy the in the second weekend and you will have less stress.
- You may audition for one or all productions with one appointment, but please do not attempt to schedule multiple appointments.
After you make an appointment, you will be mailed an audition form:
- Fill out the audition form completely before your audition.
- Write clearly and legibly.
- Be honest about your conflicts and audition information. We will do everything we can to accommodate pre-existing conflicts within the published rehearsal schedule but NO ONE may be excused from "MUST DATES" - the rehearsal schedule will be included in the audition information email.
- Be realistic in your expectations. (if you sing bass, do not audition for a soprano part, etc.)
You will be asked to sing.
- Prepare a song: Your song must be from a show for which you are auditioning. If you are auditioning for more than one production, you need only prepare one song.
- Select 16 measures of your song to feature your range and vocal skills. You may be asked to sing more of the song so be prepared!
- The song need not be memorized, but you will need to provide one copy of your music for our accompanist, marked clearly with start and stop points, so please bring two copies if you need the music.
- Music is available for purchase from Randees Music in Rockford or online through sites like Amazon.com.
You will be asked to read.
- Study the scripts or watch the films.
- You will be asked to read a brief scene while at the audition. The more familiar you are with the scripts, the better this "cold reading" will go.
- Scripts are available for reading from the RVC Box Office. They may not be checked out but can be read in the RVC Theatre lobby, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
You will be asked to dance.
- Wear clothes you can move in.
- You will be asked to learn and execute a few dance steps as a group with your fellow auditioners.
- Be prepared to stay for about an hour and a half.
Where will auditions be held?
The Location for the auditions will be announced in the audition email, but generally auditions will be held on the main campus of Rock Valley College:
Bengt Sjostrom Stage
Rock Valley College
3301 N. Mulford Rd.
Rockford, IL 61114
Parking is available in Lot #1 or Lot #9b. The audition check-in table is inside the southeastern-most entrance of the stage house (behind the theatre).
- Video auditions are allowed ONLY in special circumstances for students who are away at school, families who are on vacations, etc. Please do not abuse this service for your personal convenience.
- If you will not be in Rockford during the audition dates, you may request a video audition form from the RVC Box Office.
- You should return the form and a standard video-formatted DVD disc of you:
- Singing with piano accompaniment.
- Reading an excerpt or monologue of your choice.
- Executing some dance movements.
- Discs will only be accepted if accompanied by our official video audition form.
- Discs will not be returned.
- The disc and the completed video audition form must be received by Christopher Brady before the date specified in the Audition Information e-mail.
- Unless otherwise noted in the audition information email, all roles are available through auditions.
- Whenever possible, casting is age-appropriate; you will not (usually) be asked to play a role outside of your age range.
- All auditioners will be called by theatre staff regarding casting decisions, usually within a week following the completion of the auditions. This date will be included in the audition information email.
- An organizational meeting with the entire Starlight Company (all four casts and all staff) will also be announced in the audition information email.
While these auditions are competitive, we want you to have fun! Please be respectful of those auditioning around you. It is expected that you will take the auditions seriously and do your very best work. No hassles please! We ask you to please check all personal drama at the door!