RVC competes in NJCAA Division III in men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, golf, baseball, softball, men's and women's tennis, and men's and women's soccer. Not to brag, but we're pretty good at it. Our teams have won 11 national championships and we have had more than 130 All-Americans.
Whether your plan is to take classes and transfer to a four-year university or enter one of our career programs designed to get you into the workforce right away, Rock Valley College has what you are looking for. Select from one of our more than 60 transfer areas or more than 30 career programs.
Have fun. Try stuff. RVC gives you opportunities to get involved. There are lots of student activities to choose from. We offer more than 20 clubs and organizations. Try your hands at student government. Join the staff of our campus newspaper. What's it going to be?
At Rock Valley College, you're not just a number. Our highly respected faculty have master's degrees, doctorates and real-world experience. You won't be competing for attention in a huge lecture hall. Our average class size is 21, so you'll get a chance to interact, challenge and be challenged by your instructors.
Whether you are new to the college or know your way around, we have a variety of services designed to help you succeed. We're here for you every step of the way.
The Estelle M. Black Library at Rock Valley College features nearly 75,000 volumes and more than 650 periodicals, and access to the interlibrary loan system. It also features spaces for individual and group study, and if you get thirsty, there's a coffee shop in the lobby!
1. Dozens of Career Choices Whether you want to take credit classes at RVC and transfer to a four-year university or enter one of our career programs designed to get you into the workforce right away, RVC can help you achieve your goals. Not sure what area of study you want to pursue? No problem. We've got Career Advisors who can help you explore your interests and areas of aptitude to find the right path for you.
2. Transferable Credits Rock Valley College is a fully accredited institution of higher learning. Start here. Go anywhere. You can take your first two years of general education courses at RVC and transfer them to a four-year college or university. Where do you want to go with your career and life? We'll help you get there.
3. Best Value in Town The cost to attend RVC for two years is less than the cost for one year at a state university and about what you would pay to attend a private college or university for just one semester. Look all you want, you won't find a better value than RVC! As one RVC advisor often says, "Why pay more to go to another college or university? Are you mad at your money?" Choose Rock Valley College and keep more of your hard earned cash in your pocket!
4. Financial Aid Opportunities Not sure if you can afford to go to college? We have Financial Aid advisors who can help you. About 60% of RVC students receive financial assistance to help pay for classes and books. This year the RVC Foundation also awarded $200,000 in scholarships to students just like you. Figuring out how to pay for college doesn't have to be stressful—let us help!
5. Three Locations No matter where you live in our district, we have a location that's convenient for you. Our beautiful main campus is located on the northeast side of Rockford, but we also have the Stenstrom Center for Career Education on Rockford's south side where you can take both career and transfer courses. You can take all of the courses you need for your Associates degree at either location. We also offer courses at a downtown location, the Learning and Opportunity Center in the Stewart Square building. All three RVC locations offer support services such as academic advising, financial aid, and free tutoring.
6. Lots of Clubs, Athletics, and Activities Get engaged! The energy of student life at RVC is on par with many four-year schools. In a ten-minute walk around campus you could see a band playing in the Student Center, the Ultimate Frisbee team tossing the disc around outside, and the volleyball team practicing in the gym. Why not get involved? Student clubs and activities can teach you valuable lessons outside of the classroom about leadership, teamwork, organization, event planning, and networking. Plus, RVC athletes compete in ten NJCAA sports and have won a combined 11 national championships, including four since 2011. Come on—get in the game at RVC!
7. Highly-Qualified Faculty All RVC instructors are experienced teachers. Those teaching specialized career education and training classes leading to job placement opportunities have a Bachelor's degree and/or combination of strong relevant professional experience, while those teaching baccalaureate transfer courses have earned Master's degrees or doctorates. Many faculty are nationally recognized in their fields of study as published authors, sought after speakers, or as collaborators on research projects.
8. Hands-on Learning RVC features state-of-the-art facilities from "smart" classrooms to hands-on lab opportunities in science, computers, graphic arts, automotive, aviation, healthcare, and much more.
9. Small Class Sizes Rather than sitting in a 200 person auditorium like you would for many classes at a big university, Rock Valley College classes have an average of 24 students.That means you'll learn in an environment that helps you become more engaged with your classmates and your instructors. And you can get individual attention when you need it.
10. Student Support We are there for you every step of the way. We prepare you for the initial challenges of college through Educational Planning Sessions and First Year Experience programs. Our skilled advisors will work with you to establish educational goals and develop a path for success at RVC. Thousands of students each year benefit from the FREE tutoring services offered in our Tutoring Center, Math Lab, and Writing Center, places where the learning continues outside of the classroom.
Reach Your Potential! Do you have more to offer in your job and your career? Are you the first in your family to go to college? Not sure what you want to do for a major or a career? Explore who you are and what you can be at RVC!
Ready To Get Started? What are you waiting for? The next step is up to you…call (815) 921-4250 or be sure to check out our Getting Started steps and get going on the career and life you know you deserve!